Thursday, June 22, 2006

Chalk Art

On Saturday, my friend Danielle and I participated in the Utah Fostercare Foundation's Chalk Art Festival. It was a part of the KSL Kids Fair at the Gateway. This was our third year doing it and I think it is our best one yet. It is a 6'x6' chalk drawing that took us almost 13 hours to complete. Towards the end of the day it was so hot that the pastels just kind of crumbled and almost melted onto the sidewalk. IT WAS SO HOT!

We chose to do Mickey Mouse this year because it is so much fun when all of the little kids (and lots of adults) walk past and get excited to see something that they recognize. It is neat to draw something that makes so many people happy. It was flattering to have people taking pictures of it. One person even asked us for our buisness card. To bad we didn't have one, drat! In the past, we have drawn Pinnochio, Cinderella, Van Gogh's Night Cafe, and a picture of a mountain lion.

Danielle and I have been chalking partners for four years. We started by doing Alta's Chalk the Walk. During our senior year, a lady from the Fostercare Foundation came to our high school and invited a bunch of people to participate in the Chalk Art Festival. And we had done it every summer for the past few years.

8 comments:

Zak said...

I am impressed by the artist skills... if that Korihor guy from the testaments were around he would be saying to you "Tiffanie... The gift of these hands shall grant me immortality" in that creepy whispy voice. hahaha anyways, good job!

Jeni said...

That is incredible! I am so impressed. Post your other chalk drawings - we want to see! We're like a mile from the Gateway, I wish we had known you were there. We would have visited you and brought you some water or something!

Jaime said...

That is awesome, Tiffanie! I didn't know you were such an artist. What a cool thing to do each year - next year you need to tell us so we can come see and cheer you on. Very COOL!

Pam and Rand said...

Wow - that is so cool - I hope people don't walk on it!! How long does it last? I have to go downtown on Monday- I will have to check it out. For sure post your other chalk drawings.

mandi said...

I didn't know you were an artist either! I can't wait to show Paul - he will be seriously impressed! He was just telling me he wished we would have gone to that. That is so cool!

Maddie said...

How did you do that! It's amazing! Your a great artist Tiffany!

heidi said...

I forgot you went to Alta. I did chalk the walk too. That's really impressive! 13 hours on the ground, in the sun...ugh.

DadRand said...

That is so cool! I am totally impressed with your artistic skills. I didn't even know about the Chalk the Walk deal. You'll have to let us know next time and we'll all come and see your art work.