Friday, August 22, 2008

Flake (Warning: this is Ranting Tiffanie and should only be taken partially seriously)

This is where my graduation picture should be...

So. It is not news that I have trouble making decisions. We'll no- actually I make decisions and then I change my mind- that's the real trouble. Here is the latest:

Originally I was going to finish my classes in June and graduate in August. Then I think to myself "Whats the rush, lets take summer classes too." So fine. I was all set to graduate from college in August which is only a little bit behind the expected April 2008 graduation day that I had always planned for. I was applying for "Big Kid full-time jobs, I had told my awesome Student Athlete job that I was going to be done in August, I was getting everything ready to don the cap and gown when I get a great idea called "Lets stay in school LONGER!" As I was looking at jobs, and figuring out what the rest of my life would look like, I realized that If I stayed at BYU for another year, I would be able to go through the state to become qualified to teach Family and Consumer Sciences in high school. Ironically, this is something that in high school I promised that I would never, ever do, but now I am really excited about it.

Ok, decision made. I changed my graduation day 3 weeks before the big day. (This sounds strangely familiar to that one time when I was going to go to BYU-Idaho up until 3 weeks before I was supposed to leave for school, and then I changed my mind and came to BYU instead. Do we see a pattern here?) I started getting classes and realized that each one has its own 3 hour lab. As a result my schedule is pretty full and very sporadic. Because I was going to graduate and had told my job that I was leaving they had already replaced me, and my last day was quickly approaching.

So here I sit, on my last day of the job that I have had for 3 years, with more school and job searching ahead of me. I feel like a freshman that is just starting out.

This whole decision is kind of a slap in the face to my pride. For the past 3 years of college I have tried to explain to people that I did RESEARCH on families and relationships. I was NOT in the major that focuses on "Mom stuff" like cooking and sewing. Here I am and the extra classes that I am breaking my back to take are cooking and sewing. Just think for a sec about how if I had just swallowed my pride in the first place I would have been able to skip writing all of those research papers about Infantile Amnesia, How Eating Disorders affect families, and Teen Pregnancy, and I would already be happily teaching grumpy teenagers. (I really do like teenagers, they are my favorite age group, but they really are grumpy).

Sigh. I know things will be fine. I feel better now.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Haha Tiff you are cute :) My life is like this sometimes and sometimes it just feels good to rant for a minute :) I happy you have the decision made though - for now ;) we need to play again!!!

MARCHANT FAMILY said...

Tiff you crack me up. You are to funny. Well you might see Cory around there. I wish i was the one moving to Utah. Anyways Love ya Cousin

tiffany said...

at least you like teenagers i dont which causes a problem my oldest nephew is 15 and i love him to death

Emily Ann said...

wahoo, you get to join me a little longer :) Good luck this next semester

megan... said...

that was not even a bad rant by the way! Sorry about the crappy day! You want some chocolate?

Kent and Leisy said...

I was always one of those people that mocked the cooking and sewing majors- now I'd give anything to have taken some of those classes!! the more education the better. I say way to go.

heidi said...

yeah, good choice. it's okay if you change your mind! nothin' wrong with that.

Pam and Rand said...

I think you a totally smart to finish up with something that would help with a smart career choice. There is no big hurry for you to graduate right now. Get what you can while you can!

Linz said...

You're so cute! Good luck in your last semester of college (I think I have said that before...)=D

Annegirl said...

=( But remember how I miss you?