Saturday, January 30, 2010

Names

So, Zak and I have been hard at work trying on names for our little girl. We thought we had her name until we found out that it was really a girl, and then suddenly nothing seemed good enough, or just right for her. I want to be sure that it is really her name and that it fits her little personality. I don't want it to be too common, or too random. It needs to be.... PERFECT. Ok, maybe that is asking too much, but it will be close to perfection.

The name conversation is a dangerous one no matter where you sit. Reason one- Zak and I have made a deal not to tell anyone our baby names until we are sure that we have the name picked out. I don't want to be swayed by anyone's opinion, or "that one girl that they knew in High School" with that name. I want to be able to choose a name for my child without trying to factor in the idea of trying to please other people or running the risk of disappointing someone. If no one knows until its decided, then no one can feel like I didn't take their advice and I can have the name that I want- Win Win.

Reason two- I am one that has always liked to hear what prospective parents plan to name the new little person, but I am trying to kick that habit and have to bite my tongue before I can ask the question. I never thought that hearing other names would be a problem accept that once I hear a name, it is off limits to me and my baby. I start to fixate on the taken name and think how great it is and how it is a little bit sad that I can't use it because that would be STEALING! I don't want to be a name stealer and I don't want anyone to steal my names! I can't even talk about boy names because there will inevitably be a great girl name that is closely associated to my friend's boy name, and I might accidentally pick something that is just too similar.

*Sigh*

Not to worry folks. We are almost narrowed down to a super great name. One that I have liked for many years so I didn't steal it, and one that not many people seem to have so there can't be too many memories already attached to it. When we do start telling people our name it will be pretty much set in stone, but I reserve the right to change it according to my whims and wishes until she is in my arms.

8 comments:

Brittons of Provo said...

Another reason not to tell people is because if you do pick the name, and then the baby arrives, and it just doesn't fit, it's a lot easier to change it if you aren't ruining someone else's plan. (That almost happened with our last kid who is named after my father-in-law, but almost wasn't. It didn't fit him when he was born, but it does now. Just...be careful.)

mandi said...

You're smart not to tell anyone. Everyone always has to give their stinky opinions, and they're never helpful. Whatever you choose will be perfect for her!

Linz said...

I agree. You're smart not to tell. It's your baby, and other peoples opinion doesn't matter. I am sure you will find just the right name! But... don't worry about stealing someone elses name. Just name the baby what you want! (We named ours Auriana, even though she has a cousin named Adrianna. The grandparents had a little fit, but it's what we wanted! So, really - don't worry too much about using someone elses name or using a simular name. If you do, you'll run out of name fast!) BTW - my favorite girls name is Piper. Michael vetoed it fast. Boo.

Anyway - good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Amen to your post. We have found that a lot of people have very strong opinions about names... some love "Opal" some really don't like it. We still get sly off-handed comments about it from even our relatives, but I love it, Matthew loves it, it fits Opal to the T and I'm sure her great great Grandma Opal watches over her every day. So, go for what you love! I'm so excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Amen to your post. We have found that a lot of people have very strong opinions about names... some love "Opal" some really don't like it. We still get sly off-handed comments about it from even our relatives, but I love it, Matthew loves it, it fits Opal to the T and I'm sure her great great Grandma Opal watches over her every day. So, go for what you love! I'm so excited for you guys!

Bgrishinko said...

Yeah, we were going to keep the whole name thing a secret too. Then we finally decided a name for our little boy and it was absolutely perfect... and we still had 2 months to go. Sufficient to say, we caved and told everyone the name. So good luck. Once you choose a name, its hard not to tell.

tiffany said...

dont tell anyone until she is born

karla said...

Good philosophy - very well thought out. :)