Thursday, July 26, 2007

MSG-ed


Ok, So Zak and I have this thing where we talk about going to all of the hole-in-the-wall places in Provo. On Tuesday we decided to try out the "sketchy chinese restaurant" down the street from us. It is sandwiched between the world's oldest cheap motel and a tire shop. They had hung a big sign that said "Best Chinese Food in Provo," so of course Zak had to try it.
I had a huge headache that day and smells were bugging me. (I think I have brain cancer.) When we walked into the crumbling building I was almost knocked over by the aroma of molding walls and an old mysterious leak which I found to be running down the wall right next to our table. I felt like I was in the Dark Canyon Cabin again.
When our food came it smelled really good. There was a ton of it, and for really cheap too. We both got orange chicken, fried rice, and an egg roll. I don't usually like egg rolls, but this one was pretty good. The chicken was ok, but the more I ate the more of a stomach ache I got. It just looked and tasted really greasy to me.
If we ever eat there again we are getting take out. I don't know if its worth it though, really. I like Panda- its sanitary, its safe, and its Americanized.
Zak and I are both doing a blog on the experience and we are going to compare, so be sure to check his blog too.

9 comments:

tiffanie said...

PS the rice was kinda slimy, but I'm sure it was authentic.

Zak said...

It was way good... It might be better for take out next time, though, I agree with that.

Michelle said...

Wow - I think I've actually been there! Melynda? If you're here - is this the Chinese place we went to? I liked it ... but, I'm not that hard to please when it comes to food. SHeesh- I even like McyD's! :) Sure was good seeing you over the weekend!

Pam and Rand said...

Funny - as bad as Dark Canyon? Yikes. Hmmmm - sensitive to smells? I know more fun things than brain cancer that can cause that. I won't say what though.

heidi said...

That was fun to read both versions. Support the locals! Gary and I found a local Greek restaurant called "Tickles". It doesn't even matter whether the food is good or not - it's called Tickles! You have to like it.

Jaime said...

Oh man, Tiff - you are a brave girl. Jed doesn't even try to take me to places like that anymore. I'm a stinky/old snob. If the place doesn't look clean, no thanks. I'm sure I'm missing out on all the local charmers though. Tickles sounds interesting...

Zak said...

Jaime, you may be a snob, but you aren't stinky and old quite yet. Don't put yourself down like that.

karla said...

I think we've been to the restaurant you're talking about. It's no P.F. Changs, but you do get a lot of decent Chinese food for cheap.

Jaime said...

HEY! That's NOT what I meant. Rude.